Friday, October 22, 2010

decision making

I myself used the "avoidance" method in dealing with the situation. I felt that everyone was too out of control in terms of yelling out a million different things, not giving others a chance to speak, etc...so I just chose to not add another voice on top of everything else that wouldn't be heard or acknowleged..at least not until things calmed down a bit. Other methods that I observed were "compete to win" when students were yelling above everyone else to demand that their way was the only way and the best way, "compromise" when the few students at the front of the room were trying to hear out the different opinions from everyone, and then collaborating at the very end when everyone noticed time to be running out and we needed a sense of ordinance to be efficient in our decision making. At this point we came up with a plan and stuck to it to present it to Professor Kurpis. In my opinion, I think there was a better way to go at all of this to reach an outcome faster and with less conflict. What I would have done is to tell everyone that only one voice would be heard at a time. There would be no side conversations, and everyone would be given the chance to voice their own thoughts and opinions while everyone had a chance to listen. I feel that a lot of time would have been saved this way.

5 comments:

  1. I agree that we should have had time to speak separately, and in a quiet setting, so that our opinions would be heard. It was very frustrating to not be able to have our opinions voiced. I tried to convey my ideas as well, but I wasn't as aggressive as some people were. I raised my hand, but after a long time of not being able to speak (and feeling invisible), I walked up to one of the leaders and told that person my suggestion, in hopes of having it heard from the leader to the class. However, that didn't work either as there was just too much going on, and it even seemed like the leaders lost control over our group at times.
    It was a very chaotic time, but eventually we all ended up agreeing on a beneficial decision. Nevertheless, it was a stressful process, and I think we all learned something from this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also played the "avoidence" role in this class activity. It was very frustrating hearing people talk over one another. I think that we as a class should have appointed a leader and then your idea would have worked. If the leader stood in the front of the class and made sure to have everyone that wanted have a voice, one at a time, then we would have heard from more people whom had ideas but were upset at the chaos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totaly agree with your sugestion that one voice should talk at a time. However, in order to inforce it , a good manager should of been there to put things into prespective. That person would dictate the ruls and allow each student to express his mined, one person at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Avoidance was definitely a popular role throughout the experiment. Something that I find interesting about 'avoidance' is its negative connotation. However, if nobody were to play this role, then the chaos would be ten fold!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I realized that alot of students approached the situatuin the same way withdrawing themselves and using the avoidance role but we have to bear in mind that this was our grades. What if the decision made in the class had a negative impact on you would you have been comfortable that you just sat in the class and did not voice your opinion because you thought it was chaotic. We all would have wanted to have a session where it was quiet and orderly and one peron spoke at a time but it did not happen so its good to adjust to situations cause the world is not perfect and what we always want most of the time does not occur especially when there are other people involved, when its concerning ourselves we can manipulate to suite our likings but in this situation the class average was 59.99 and no one would like to have a D when they can have a chance to have an A, this is why everyone wanted to be heard at the same time. Not that i thought this was the best way but am just analayzing from a realist standpoint.

    ReplyDelete